North Richland Hills is a city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and a suburb of Fort Worth. The population was 63,343 at the 2010 census, making it the third largest city in Tarrant County. In 2006, North Richland Hills was selected as one of the “Top 100 Best Places to live in America” according to Money magazine. Major streets and highways include Davis Boulevard, Mid Cities Boulevard, Bedford-Euless Road, Loop-820, North Tarrant Parkway, Precinct Line Road and many more. It is home to the Birdville Independent School District and parts of the Keller Independent School District.
The community began when W.S. Peters agreed to bring 600 families into the area within a three-year period as part of a land grant. Families began arriving in the summer of 1848. In 1849, Tarrant County was established and named for General Edward H. Tarrant. The community of Birdville (adjacent to what is now North Richland Hills’ southwest boundary) was named the first county seat. The area remained a rural farming and ranching community for more than 100 years.
In 1952, Clarence Jones began to subdivide his 268-acre (1.08 km2) dairy farm into a suburban addition in the area that is now Cummings Drive. In 1953, the North Richland Hills Civic League sought to have the area annexed to Richland Hills, then voted to form their own city when annexation was denied. An election was held, and the 268 acres (1.08 km2) of the Jones Farm, with a population of 500, became officially incorporated as the City of North Richland Hills.
The first section of streets in North Richland Hills was named for the local families. The second section, which was added in 1954, was named for automobiles. There were 188 homes in the first part of the subdivision, which was restricted to brick and masonry construction.
By 1957, the North Richland Hills’ boundary was within 2 miles (3 km) of Smithfield, and by 1960 Smithfield had been annexed to North Richland Hills. In 1960, the population of North Richland Hills was beginning to rise at 8,662 residents, with that number doubling to 16,514 by 1970. The city’s population continued to grow at a rapid pace with the 1980 census at 30,592 and the 1990 census reflecting 45,895. In 2000 the population was 55,635, rising to 63,343 at the 2010 census.